Adding/Dropping winter Courses requires that the process be followed. McGill University also sets a deadline for adding or dropping courses for the winter of 2022.
Before you add or drop a course, check the course change deadlines to make sure the Add/Drop period isn’t over.
If it is still before the deadline, you can use Minerva to add or drop courses. The Step-by-step instructions are available on Minerva and on this page for ease of access. All courses have a set number of spots, therefore the institution encourages registering as soon as possible.
McGill University adding or dropping courses Winter Deadline
The deadline for add/drop courses for the 2022 winter is January 18, 2022.
It is recommended to also check Mcgill Important winter dates for more information.
McGill University Add/Drop Courses Important Information
Some important notes:
- Courses dropped during the Add/Drop Period are deleted from your record. If you drop a course before the deadline, you’ll get a refund for the course. If you add a course during this period, you’ll be charged for the course.
- Freshman Program students must have any changes approved by a Faculty academic advisor.
- Courses that are cancelled by the University are not automatically deleted from your record. You’ll need to delete them on Minerva.
- If you forget to add a course during the Add/Drop Period, you’ll need to submit a written appeal requesting that the course(s) be added to your record, and explaining why you were unable to add the course(s) during the Add/Drop Period. If your request is approved, you will be charged an administrative fee for each late change. Each student is limited to one request to correct a registration error. If approved, future such requests will be refused.
How to Add/Drop a course
McGill University allows students to add/drop courses, there are steps to start with to add/drop a course. Here are the steps:
Step 1: Check Your Registration Eligibility and Verify Your Curriculum.
- Select the term in which you wish to register.
- Click Submit.
- The Check Your Registration Eligibility and Verify Your Curriculum screen appears. All items for your Registration Status must permit registration before you can register.
- Click on Next Step link at the bottom of the form to continue the registration process (or if your registration status prevents you from continuing click on HELP for solutions to your inability to register).
Step 2: Search Class Schedule and Add Course Sections
- Select the term of the course sections you would like to lookup. (You should select the same term as the term of registration you previously submitted.)
- From the Look-Up Course Sections form, select at least one Subject or at least one Faculty to narrow course sections available.
- Enter the Course Number if you know it or any other additional criteria to limit your search results.
- Click Get Course Sections.
- From the course section results that appear, click on the CRN (Course Reference Number) to view the course description of any course in your search results.
Remember: For a course that has more than one schedule type (eg. a course composed of lecture and laboratory), you will have to register in a separate section for each type.
- Click on the hyperlinked course title to view Detailed Course Information.
- Click Return to Previous to go back.
- When you are sure you want to register for a course section, check the box in front of its CRN and click Register.
Important: For a course that requires registration using a permit override, you can only use Quick Add or Drop Course Sections to register. If you are not registering using a permit override and there is no checkbox before the CRN, click HELP for more details. After viewing any registration error you encounter, click the MENU to try registering for another course.
Using the “Quick Add or Drop Course Sections” method
To view a video that illustrates the steps to drop a course using the Quick Add/Drop Worksheet click here.
Your registered course sections appear below the Current Schedule label. Check to ensure no registration errors appear beside the course section you have added. At this point you may also register for additional courses by entering the CRN in the grid of the Quick Add Worksheet.
Step 3: Verify Registration Fee Assessment
If you have finished registering all course sections for the current term, you can verify all related fees by clicking on Next Step link at the bottom of the form.
Note: More options for viewing fee calculations and other activity on your account are described at Account summaries.
Step 4: View Student Schedule by Course Section
- When the registration process is complete, confirm your section enrollment by clicking on the Next Step link at the bottom of the form to view your course section information.
- Verify that all registered sections you have registered for appear on your Detail Schedule.
- Check the Grade Mode for each section matches grading option you had specified.
Note: Make any necessary changes immediately by clicking on MENU at the top right of the screen and then Quick Add or Drop Course Sections at the bottom of the screen.
Step 5: View Personal Weekly Class Schedule
- Retrieve your finalized weekly schedule by clicking on the Next Step link.
- As instructed at the top of your weekly schedule, you can adjust it to view different weeks and you should always check for time conflicts.
- Print your weekly schedule by clicking your web browser’s print button.
Step 6: View Tuition Fee and Legal Status
View your tuition fee and legal status by clicking on the Final Step link.
Note: You may now end your current registration session. To log out of Minerva, click on EXIT at the top right corner of the Minerva screen. Or to return to the Registration menu to review your holds and warnings, click MENU at the top right corner of the Minerva screen.