StudentAid BC provides loans, grants, scholarships and other programs for eligible students. The Forgiveness Program is however for students who could not repay their loans.
To have your student loan forgiven, you have to agree to work at publicly-funded facilities in underserved communities in B.C., or work with children in occupations where there is an identified shortage in B.C.
The Province of British Columbia will forgive the outstanding B.C. portion of your Canada-B.C. integrated student loan debt (rate of up to a maximum of 20% per year for up to five years) should you qualify.
Finishing five years of employment will result in all or a percentage of your B.C. student loan debt forgiven. Province of British Columbia also pays any outstanding interest that accumulates during each year you are registered in the program whilst in the loan forgiveness program.
Those Who qualify to apply for BC Student Loan Forgiveness Program?
Those who can apply for the program are those who:
- are in repayment of an outstanding B.C. student loan (not restricted in default, delinquent or bankruptcy)
- have graduated from an accredited post-secondary educational institution
- are or will be employed (full-time, part-time, and/or casual/on-call) at a publicly funded facility in an eligible occupation either with children or in an underserved community in B.C.
- are not enrolled in full-time post-secondary studies.
Before applying for this program check make sure you meet the conditions for either working in undeserved communities if that is what you choose or working with children with identified shortage of B.C.. Then, you will have go through the list of undeserved communities.
- Next -> Check these eligibilities here
BC Student Loan Forgiveness Program Application
Before going into the application proper, it is important to ensure the following
Ensure you have access to the StudentAid BC Dashboard
The Student Aid BC Dashboard enables you to receive all notifications and to submit documentation as required.
Make sure you supply the same email address for all StudentAid BC program applications.
If you are a new applicant, you will need to set up your BC Services Card app to access the StudentAid BC Dashboard.
How to apply for your loans to be forgiven
Please take note of the next lines of instructions and conditions carefully.
- Download Form
- Complete the B.C. Loan Forgiveness Program application, and confirm checklist is complete.
- Submit your application form to StudentAid BC, along with an employment letter. Your employment letter must contain all of the following:
- must be on company letterhead;
- current date (this date must be within one month of the date your application was received at StudentAid BC);
- employer’s signature;
- applicant’s name and job title;
- employment status (full-time/part-time/casual on-call);
- hired/start date;
- name of the publicly-funded facility;
- name of the community; and
- whether working with children (for specific occupations).
Please note an employment offer letter does not meet the requirements of an official employment letter.
- Read, sign and date SECTION 2 – Declaration, and return the completed package to StudentAid BC via the document upload option on your StudentAid BC Dashboard.